Friday, March 21, 2008

Why March Madness is Both Great and Horrible

I guess it wasn't until last night that I realized that March Madness really only makes one fan base happy.

We all get excited for the tournaments to start, but once our team loses, the tournament lacks that personal luster. Sure, basketball fans still love to watch good basketball, but it's hard to cheer as hard as you did that first day after your team is history.

Last night, on the same court, I experienced both the ups and downs of the NCAAs.

THE Duke Blue Devils almost had an epic collapse, sliding past Belmont by a hair, even after Belmont threw all but the entire kitchen at Coach K's squad. The bar I was at started a "Belmont" chant with more than 10 minutes left in the game, giving it that "we've never heard of this school, and less than 1 percent of the people even know where Belmont is, but goddammit we're cheering" feel to it.

Nearly three hours later I was hanging my head, experiencing the low of college basketball as Arizona, once again, lost in the first round after a horrible season that had approximately zero high points. Near the end of my freshman year in Tucson I learned that the only way I would make it as an Arizona fan would be to handle the many loses to come my way. Honestly, if you don't love softball these days, enjoying Arizona sports is as much fun as open heart surgery.

1 comment:

Freedo said...

At least its time for Spring football....the 'Cats fought hard, they were just out-manned. Hopefully they landed a few stud recruits.