Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Oh Andy


I'd have to say, I'm pretty torn on the recent news of my personal favorite American athlete, Andy Roddick.

The 25-year-old tennis star great server has said he's decided to skip the Olympics for a chance to defend his title at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington.

His explanation is plausible, noting that every year his main goal is to win the U.S. Open and this gives him the best shot at preparing for it. The problem is it's the Olympics and he's going to get all that "not defending his country the right way" scrutiny that he doesn't necessarily deserve.

If you're anything like me, the Olympics chapter in God Save the Fan is pretty much your theory - Americans don't really care about the Olympics anymore.

No matter, I'm sure Andy is heading for a minimal shit-storm from the media on this, mainly because they have nothing better to talk about after basketball is over.

2 comments:

wolfson32 said...

Who is your favorite athlete if Andy is just your favorite American athlete... ??
If he wasn't from Texas would he be your favorite?

Aziletx said...

I like the Olympics!