Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I LOVE When People Play the Race Card


Let me preface this by saying that I'm probably the least racist person in America. I love black people about thirty times more than white people and still yearn for the day I take an African-American girl back to my hometown as my fiance, just because it would be the best day of my life.

Anyway, if you haven't read this Dave Stewart article about the difference in perception about Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds, please do.

Of course, Stewart blames the fact that Bonds is black and Clemens is white on the difference in the way people approached and reacted to the steroid accusations.

"As a black man, looking at it through my eyes, you have to understand maybe race is the reason nobody wanted to look at Roger like they looked at Barry," Stewart said when reached by phone Thursday. "In years past, when all the speculation was on Barry, I said maybe you need to look at Roger as well."

Um, two things that are very important here. First, the reason people hate Barry Bonds isn't because he did or does steroids, it's because he's the biggest asshole in sports. A good example of this - everyone hates playing with him and he is friends with Terrell Owens.

The second thing - people hate Roger Clemens too. I don't really care if Clemens is white or not, he's an asshole, but at least has friends (or did have friends) in people like Andy Pettite who seems like respectable human beings.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter if you're black or white when you're a dickhead to just about anyone you've ever met. I can promise you, if you had a poll on which one of these guys most of America would invite to dinner, the majority of people would probably just go out to eat.

No comments: