Monday, April 21, 2008

Boo!


Mr. Boo Weekley, everyone's favorite country-boy golfer won the Verizon Heritage Hilton Head Open presented by Verizon and Hilton, among others, yesterday for the second straight year.

Boo did it with a series of shots that probably shouldn't have gone in, including a pitch from over a bunker that took three hopes and dropped in the cup and a putt that was doing 75 MPH in a 35 when it hit the back of the can.

It wasn't like anyone was putting a ton of pressure on Boo, with playing partner Anthony Kim shooting a 71 and both Aaron Baddeley and Jim Furyk going only low enough for a 69 on Sunday.

All this only means one big thing - Boo will be on the PGA Tour for two more years and will have a realistic shot at doing what he said in this Golf Digest interview:

"The first time I made it to the PGA Tour, in 2002, I had a dollar number in mind: $8 million. Through prize money, investments and whatever else, that's how much I figured I needed to have in the bank before I could make sure my mom and dad, my wife, my son, my sister and my two nieces are taken care of, and to take care of things like a cousin calling and saying he's in jail and needs help. Well, I had a bad year in 2002 and lost my card. I didn't get it back until 2007. Today the number is still $8 million, and I finally put a real dent in it because I won over $2.5 million before taxes. Five more years like this one, and you won't see much more of me. I haven't been out here all that long, but I'm getting worn out."

No comments: