Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bloggers are terrible, Models Dumb, Presidents Wise, Fast Food Terrible (for you)

Generalizations are a horrible thing. Humans generalize about stuff all the time and it is almost always harmful and ignorant.

People think all Texans are dumb, black people are gangsters and thugs, gay people drink lattes all day and try to fit their 165 pound frame in a youth-large shirt, and bloggers are pieces of shit*.

(* - last comment was from last night's "Costas Now" segment featuring Deadspin's Will Leitch getting torn up by "Friday Night Lights" author Buzz Bissinger)

The crazy thing - not all Texans are dumb (Howard Hughes!), not all blacks are thugs (James Earl Jones!), not all gay people are "gay" (Lance Bass!) and not all bloggers dumb, ignorant, ninny-asses that read worse than refrigerator magnets (Fire Joe Morgan!).

Generalizing about this was Bissinger's downfall last night. He approached it like Martha Burk would an all-male club - all shooting, no loading. I would put a large sum of money (this is theoretical since I blog thus am poor and lonely) on the fact that Bissinger has never checked out "Kissing Suzy Kolber" or "Every Day Should be Saturday." I bet he avoids at all costs "Awful Announcing" and "Sports By Brooks."

That is fine, there isn't anything wrong with not reading stuff you don't enjoy reading. My only complaint is losing complete respect for someone just because you don't agree with what they're doing. Bissinger started the "round-table discussion" with a hearty "i think you're full of shit" to probably the most accomplished and thoughtful sports blogger in the nation (Wouldn't you love to see Babe Zaharias say this to Serena Williams just because Serena wears short skirts and fancy earrings?).

I don't read Perez Hilton, and that is a personal decision. I don't enjoy his writing and drop my jaw at some of the stuff he "reports." That being said, in no way do I disrespect or even dislike a guy that found a wrinkle in online journalism and took complete advantage of it. The guy is a visionary whether you like it or not.

Thanks to Deadspin I started doing this little golf blog site and people tend to read it at times. I have a real job and a real life but I enjoy getting my thoughts down on something, even if my paychecks aren't stamped by the "New York Times" or the "Denver Post." I write because I enjoy it and I think it's fun. If people enjoy reading me, I'm happy to say that puts a smile on my face.

Take it or leave it, Bissinger was the voice for a generation that just doesn't get it (Granted he is the yelling, cursing, red-at-the-face version, but still...)

3 comments:

John said...

uggs on sale
cheap jordan shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
fake rolex watches
uggs outlet
longchamp outlet store
michael kors purses
michael kors handbags outlet
jordan retro
fit flops
20161017yuanyuan

Unknown said...

hogan outlet
adidas superstar
longchamp
nike air force
new england patriots jersey
michael kors
curry 3
jordans for cheap
yeezy boost 350 v2
pandora jewelry

หนังออนไลน์ 2022 said...

สำหรับผู้ที่ชื่นชอบภาพยนตร์ และผู้ชมทุกท่าน ที่ชื่นชอบ หนังออนไลน์ 2022 ซีรีย์ที่ชื่นชอบในการรับชมภาพยนตร์ ซีรีย์ ดูซีรีย์ออนไลน์ อัพเดทใหม่ตลอดทั้งเดือน