Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tommy Bolt Passed at 92


For golf fans, Tommy Bolt is, was and will always be the name first associated with temper on the links. The 1958 U.S. Open champion at Southern Hills, Bolt is probably the most famous hothead golf has ever seen, and he embraced the trait.

Bolt died on August 30 at the spry age of 92, leaving behind one of the most famous golf exchanges of all time between himself and Arnold Palmer.

“Always throw clubs ahead of you. That way you won’t waste any energy going back to pick them up.”

My have I tried to live by that quote. Bolt's name always comes around when majors are held at Southern Hills and was inducted in the Golf Hall of Fame in 2002.

One of the first few characters in golf, Bolt was once asked who he thought the best player in golf (At the time) was.

Who's better? Jack Nicklaus or Ben Hogan? Well, my answer was, I saw Nicklaus watch Hogan practice. But I never saw Hogan watch Nicklaus.