Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Worst Week For Golf

We are in an economic crisis like nothing we've ever seen. Companies are laying people off faster than it takes Charles Barkley to hit a shank. The PGA Tour is, quietly, trying to stay afloat while all this bad stuff is going down in hopes that when the tsunami ends we can still have tournaments with sponsors and such.

So, my question is simple -- why have a golf tournament the same week as the first round of the NCAA Tournament? I'll explain.

I'm a golf freak. I spent the last two days glued to the television for the Tavistock Cup, and I have absolutely no idea who even won! I don't care, but it was golf on, and good golf at that. I'll watch Shell Wonderful Worlds of Golf, good golf shows (there aren't a lot, but I'll watch them if they catch my attention) and I play golf like a man checking off his last item on the bucket list. I'm addicted, but even I won't watch golf this weekend. It's the Transitions Championship (which, for the record, I love), and the field isn't that bad, but it just seems like a waste of a tournament.

The NBA and the MLB have All-Star Weekends, so why not make this the week off for the PGA Tour? Trust me, I'll be way more willing to watch an end of season tournament with Franky Nobirdies in the field before I'll tune in to watch golf with Virginia Commonwealth up two on UCLA with eight seconds to go. We have the most exciting weekend of the entire year going on during all four days of the golf tournament, so why not take the week off?

This is just my thoughts. Is this a bad idea? Would the PGA Tour listen to this? Should I call Congress?

No comments: