Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Tavistock Cup is a Hidden Sports Gem


I've always been anti-Silly Season events. Ever since the Skins Game lost the big names (mostly because the players didn't need the extra cash anymore), the Silly Season has basically lived up to its name. It is like my time away from the golf world when I can really get set with the NFL and enjoy watching football while the weather changes.

The same can't be said for the Tavistock Cup, going on right now in Florida. I'm fucking love this thing. Honestly.

I have watched action both days and have no idea who is winning or losing but it is a lot of PGA Tour players competing in a Ryder Cup-like format with goofy shirts on. How can you not enjoy it?

Oh, and there is Tiger Woods. Yep, Tiger. It had been eight months since we got to watch Woods swing a golf club, so any and all bonus coverage of him on the golf course is alright with me. From the CA-Championship to the Masters is usually a long haul for me. I have never been a huge fan of Bay Hill, so waiting four weeks until we get to see azaleas is a pain in the ass.

This little tournament thingy is awesome. I'd say if you haven't watched any of the action, catch the replay tonight on The Golf Channel. Good stuff by all the players.

Marc Serota, Getty Images

No comments: