Friday, April 11, 2008

Talking Tiger, Schmickey, Wedge Play on 15 and your Leaders


The Masters are over, so if you're watching ESPN right now thinking it's live coverage, you're either stupid or South African (or both).

Tiger finished the day one-under for the tournament, seven shots back of Trevor Immelman, who shot consecutive 68s. EL Tigre has really battled the flat-stick, nearly carding consecutive three-putts on 10 and 11 (he made a slippery eight-footer on 11 to save par).

Last year Tiger struggled on 17 and 18, getting himself in similar position as this year but he couldn't finish the rounds. His birdie on 17 and insane par-save on 18 maybe showed more focus or maybe he drinks a ton of that Gatorade Tiger stuff or something different. I don't know, every time they showed him all I could think about was how nice the color of his pants were (sharp Nike golf).

Phil Mickelson had one of the most solid rounds of the day, carding a bogey-free 68 that had some amazing par saves. Phils round showed that there are still 65s at Augusta National to be had, because he had a few close-range birdie putts that he couldn't convert.

I would have to say, Justin "Ugly Jeans" Rose pulled a Vijay Singh on 15, knocking a couple in the drink and eventually making a cute little snowman. Rose went 68-78 to find himself nowhere near the leaderboard, but he has led the Masters three different times after the first round so that is something special! I hate to say it didn't hurt my heart to see him fall out of contention.

Of all the leaders I have my eye on (obviously) Schmickelson and Retief Goosen. The Goose has posted consecutive 71s and just looks good. I mean, he looks good. The guy looks good.

Sad day for Freddie Couples, who missed the cut by a shot, but has to be pretty happy about 23 straight Masters he made the weekend before this year. Like he said, he's 48 years old, he's supposed to miss some cuts. He at least gave himself a chance on 18 with a short birdie putt, but couldn't knock the thing in.

Moving day at Augusta is like Christmas to me, so I'll be around tomorrow posting and blogging. Yep, I blog, but only in my parents basement.

Photo Credit: Al Tielemans/SI

No comments: