Thursday, July 7, 2011

Colin Montgomerie Speaks the Truth on the Levet Leap


If a friend came up to you, on crutches, and said, "Man, I broke my shin jumping into a lake because I didn't know how deep or shallow the water was," you'd probably respond with some version of, "You're a moron."

Cue Colin Montgomerie on Thomas Levet, and the case of the broken shin (Ed. Note: Was that a Hardy's Boys novel?).

Via the AP ...

“I think it’s the silliest thing that players have done over the years, I really do,” Montgomerie said Wednesday. “I’ve always been suspect about people diving into lakes that don’t know how deep it is and what’s in there.

“There could be a spike in there, whatever. It’s not the way to celebrate and let’s hope that’s the last time that ever happens. It’s not the way to celebrate a golf tournament win by taking the next three months off because you’ve hurt yourself.”


Ahh, Monty, there are times I hate you, and then times I love you, and this is one of those times I just want to give you a big hug.

Also, what is it about the older a golfer gets, the more honest they are with the media? Jack Nicklaus has become a must-see in the media room, and now we have players like Monty just speaking their mind even more than they did back in their prime.

And yes, we can all agree that breaking your shin in celebration is idiotic. Bill Gramatica knows what I'm talking about.

Getty Images

1 comment:

Mike said...

Your reference to Gramatica was very astute, however, the dumbest celebration award still goes to Gus Frerotte QB for the Redskins.

From Wikipedia:

Frerotte was selected to the 1997 Pro Bowl, but may be better remembered for spraining his neck by ramming his head into a padded cement wall during a touchdown celebration in a 7–7 tie against the New York Giants on Sunday Night Football.

Nice!