Friday, July 1, 2011

Bubba Watson's Performance Very Oui-K in France


I don't toot my horn much on headlines, but isn't that one great? I think so. You can all send me $4 for that. Thanks.

Being a superstar is a tough thing. A very tough thing. You get pulled in all directions and are expected to be ON 100 percent of the time. If you're not, you get ridiculed, even if you're having a bad day. Nobody cares about how you're feeling, they just want their photograph with you or autograph or minute of your time.

So I understand how it can be frustrating. I'm sure it is. I bet a lot of the times, it sucks.

But that doesn't mean you can instantly turn into some jerk. I'm a little worried that's the way Bubba Watson is heading. The problem? I like Bubba a lot. I've spent some time around him, enjoyed the way he acted and his outlook on life. But that was before his three wins and booming popularity.

The latest story out of France, where Bubba is playing this week thanks to a $200,000 appearance fee, couldn't paint him any worse.

Here are the list of things he's done to piss people off this week in Paris, courtesy of Bernie McGuire ...

-- He said of the event, "I think this might be the only time I play in Europe. I miss my home." Umm Bubba, don't you know one of the four majors is over there?

-- Called the Eiffel Tower "that big tower." Called Versailles "the castle we are staying next to." Called the Louvre "a building starting with L." Called the Arc de Triomphe "this arch I drove round in a circle" and also "the arch way." He only needs to insult Notre Dame and the Mona Lisa to hit for the dumb American cycle.

-- Told a female reporter to "See my manager" when asked for a headshot.

-- Said of the tournament, "It's not a normal tournament ... there's no security."

-- Failed to give a ride to a fellow competitor from the hotel to the golf course.

Hum. That's not exactly what I call "making a good first impression."

Who knows how much of this is exaggeration and how much of this is totally true, but it comes from a reliable source and just isn't good.

Like I said over at Devil Ball, I hope Bubba comes out and apologizes to the people of France and some of the tournament officials. He does have a good heart, and is a good guy, but this sure won't make him a big draw over in Europe, and it's fairly important to get those people on your side. Remember, the Open is there ever year, and if you want to be a top player, you're going to have to deal with those fans in Europe for years to come in the Ryder Cup.

Speaking of Ryder Cup, does anyone know where they're playing it in 2018? Oh yeah. France.

Getty Images

5 comments:

seak said...

Shane, Bubba's a prima donna who will often refuse to talk to the press after bad rounds. He also seems like a fun loving guy, with a good heart. The trick is he's both, the good and the bad.

Why not accept that? And then decide if you want to root for him or not. All people have good and bad sides, it does no good to ignore either.

Mark said...

"I think this might be the only time I play in Europe. I miss my home."

What a freakin' baby. Being paid $200k in appearance money, 1st class everything and he's whining that he misses home.

I didn't need to read on from that point.

Gary said...

find something worth writing about...this is gar-bage', of the who freaking cares variety...

Anonymous said...

Is Bubba the same guy who still claims to never had a lesson or watched his swing on film? Yet played college golf. LOL. Thats all you do in the college ranks. He must have watched Tin Cup way too many times.

Darren Demers said...

Who knows how much of this is exaggeration and how much of this is totally true, but it comes from a reliable source and just isn't good. pink princess dress toddler , pale yellow dress for little girl , red toddler dress , mint green toddler dress