Monday, May 9, 2011

An Amateur Won the Nationwide Tour Event

It hasn't been the best two weeks for the Nationwide Tour's regular professionals. Last week a Monday qualifier grinded it out for five days to win, the first time such a feat had happened since 2007, and then this week, a college kid won, making it just the second time an amateur had won a Nationwide event in the history of the tour. Yikes.

Russell Henley, a senior at Georgia, won on the team's home course by posting 12-under, and now has 60 days to find out if he wants to be a professional or not, which he probably will since he just jumped well up the money list with that win.

Henley's win is exciting, but what the heck is going on with the Nationwide Tour? Are the pros on vacation? Is everyone preparing for their U.S. Open qualifiers and forgetting about the job that brings the potatoes to the party? I'm confused, but a little justified in my constant preaching that the golf world is full of incredible talent that could win on just about any course on any week if the right pieces fell in place, so I guess Henley is my Patient X.

It's a very cool story though. Henley told the Associated Press, "“I can’t even feel my arms,” Henley said. “I was nervous all day. I don’t know how long it will take to sink in. Eight months? Nine months? A couple days? I don’t know. I’ve never done this before.”

You can watch the highlights, announcer free, below, and see a college kid beat all the vets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Afghan audience that whatever Coach Outlet Online Afghan audience that whatever
audience that whatever Coach Factory Outlet
Afghan audience that whatever Hermes Belt Afghan werefabricated. Afghan audience that whatever Coach Factory Online Afghan