Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wait, So John Daly IS Playing This Week?


Remember last week, when John Daly opened with a five-under 67 at the Famers Insurance Open, and then decided he'd spend his post round complaining about golf events that wouldn't let him in? One of those events he was frustrated with was the Waste Management Open, commenting, "I'm just saying that if you look at my past, everything the Thunderbirds have ever wanted me to do for 20 -- well, 17, 16 years I'm sure I did it for them."

But, Daly is playing this week, at the Qatar Masters, an event that boasts a $2.5 million purse and will have players like Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer, Steve Stricker, Paul Casey and Ian Poulter participating.

It just seems strange that Daly would blow up about certain PGA Tour events handing over their sponsor exemptions to other players when he has an invite to a BIG event across the pond. Would he rather stay in the States? I'm sure. But is that an option at this point for a guy that doesn't have full status? Nope, it sure isn't.

I guess I'm just confused. If I was a professional golfer searching for places to play, I'd be more inclined to compliment the Qatar Masters for letting me in than bashing the Phoenix Open for ignoring my request. Ultimately, it's their decision on who plays, and they probably had some guys they thought would have a better chance competing.

Getty Images

No comments: