Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Five First Round Accenture Bets I Love


If you're a golfer, you most likely gamble (I'm even looking at you, Froelich), and so I'd assume that if you saw a salty bet during match play week, you might jump on it. Here are five I love for the first round, and I will continue to give good ones for the week as the matches go on.

Enjoy, bet 'em, and don't get mad at me when you lose all your money. (Also, here is the bracket in case someone needed it.)


Nick Watney (-145) over Anthony Kim -- Kim played well at the Farmers Insurance, but that was three weeks ago, and since then, he's had a missed cut and a WD. Also, as we've seen this year, Watney can reel off more birdies than anyone in the field.

Charl Schwartzel (-180) over Ryo Ishikawa -- Another favorite, yes, but Ishikawa sure doesn't look like he will replicate his good play in the desert from 2010. He opened with 79 last week at Riviera before calmly withdrawing.

Young-Eun Yang (+155) over Alvaro Quiros -- In the last week, Quiros has A.) toughed out a win against one of the best European Tour fields of the year B.) Celebrated C.) Then flew to Arizona for this crazy tournament. People that win tend to hit walls, so call this one an early hunch. Do I think Quiros could win the match? Sure, and if he does, maybe he has a great week, but he could also get smoked by Yang, and I like that number.

Thomas Bjorn (+210) over Tiger Woods -- Do me a favor for a second - cover up the name "Tiger Woods" and replace it with any other golfer that hasn't won in over a year, and tell me if they'd be getting these kind of odds? Of course not, and who is to say the GOOD Tiger shows up in Marana.

Dustin Johnson (-155) over Mark Wilson -- This will be Wilson's sixth straight week on tour, and after his win in Phoenix, he hasn't broken 70. Gotta love the long-hitting Johnson here.

Okay, give me some of your picks!

3 comments:

seak said...

Those kind of odds? Probably not, but Watney hasn't won in over a year, and neither has Ogilvy as a couple of for instances. Plus Tiger has a pretty decent match play record, and Bjorn has been pretty crappy outside of a one-off on a weird course. So I don't think the odds on that one are that far off.

Tom said...

I also like the Watney pick. He's got a favorable draw considering Westwood never plays well in this event.

I know he hasn't played in the US yet this season, but I think McIlroy should cruise to the Elite 8. Then again, I had Tim Clark winning his first-round match-up, which means my bracket is already messed up and the event hasn't even started yet, so take that with a grain of salt.

Anonymous said...

Is the bracket hiding here?