Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Maybe Save This Until After The British Open


Never have I considered myself Captain of Perfect Timing (just ask my ex) but I'm pretty sure when heading over to England, for the British Open, it's best not to admit you didn't like links golf when you first played it. Especially if you've won the thing five times. And will be in the field again this year. And will be broadcasting the event for ABC. Oh, and if you're American.

Tom Watson, winner of the 1983 British Open at Royal Birkdale, said this to the USA Today.

“I drove the ball right where he told me, right down the middle of the fairway, and we never found it,” Watson said. “I dropped a ball and hit to the green. Then I went looking around and there was this little pot bunker about 30, 40 yards off line from my drive and there it was. Took a bad bounce.

“I remember thinking, ‘This, I don’t like this.’ ”


Well, two things should have happened there Mr. Watson. You should have shelled out the five pounds for a yardage book or had a more acclimated caddy (Bruce Edwards, you're the man, no direct jab at you). Links golf is the best in the world because you have to be creative, intelligent and most of all, confident in the shot you're hitting. There aren't many courses in the States that you have to hit an 8-iron from 100 yards or putt from 20 yards off the green. It's links golfs and it's amazing.

Watson also said he could see himself competing this week, which is strange since he plans to be in the broadcasting booth come Saturday and Sunday.

Watson insists that given the right course conditions, he can compete this week against a field that includes “players that weren’t even born when I won my first Open title.”

“But that’s the beauty of the game; you can still play late in your competitive life,” Watson said. “I feel as if I could compete here. I have played half-decently in the Open the last few years.”


Those course conditions? One of those "Attack Everyone That isn't 58-years-old" windstorms that all young people hate. Damn you wind, damn you to hell!

2 comments:

joneil01 said...

The odds are, Bruce wasn't the caddy at that tournament. It was pretty rare that Bruce crossed the pond with Tom at the British....

Shane B. said...

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Caddies probably weren't banking back in the 60s and 70s.