Thursday, May 14, 2009

Maria Verchenova Hopes To Be Russia's Golf Answer


Basically, in golf upbringing terms, Russia is the complete opposite of Australia. No funding, no help, no nothing ... you either have a lot of talent and hope that your parents can afford to fork it up, or you are s-c-r-e-w-e-d.

Maria Verchenova, the lovely lady in the picture above, is 23-years-old and hoping to make a Maria Sharapova-like breakthrough on the LPGA. That is, she is good at sports and very, very attractive (Oh, and from Russia, thus the reason for the opening sentence).

Via Devil Ball Golf ...

What all of the successful athletes in these sports have shared is a natural flair for sport, a determination to make the most of their talent, a passion for competition and a beguiling nature that has captured the imagination of the world.

And where the likes of Svetlana Khorkina, Yelena Isinbayeva and Maria Sharapova have already travelled, golf's Maria Verchenova hopes to follow.


Can I be the first to say I hope she follows as well? I'm not trying to get all T&A on you, but I sure could watch her hit a ball, err, I mean, she's the kind of girl I'd like to play in a threesome with! Ah, forget it. I need a coffee.

David Cannon, Getty Images