Thursday, August 7, 2008

John Daly Is, Gulp, Not Playing So Bad, UPDATE


We here in the blog world tend to take pokes at John Daly more than most. He's a tad overweight, just a little loony and has struggled (at times) on the golf course.

The thing most people don't understand, is most people, including myself, still root for Daly. I want him to do well, I hope he shoots under par and I couldn't ask for anything more than a solid week at a tournament that introduced him to our world.

He isn't going to win this week, that's almost a given, but making the cut and getting to see him happy again would be well worth it to the world of golf. He's two-over through 16 holes and it might be his best round, but it's good enough for a top-40 finish and a puncher's chance at making the cut tomorrow.

(There are just a lot of 8s and 9s out there waiting to grab Big John by his Texas-sized gut)

UPDATE: Yeah, just after I posted this Daly made a double-bogey on 17, so I guess you can forget all that I wrote (like you wouldn't anyway).

Photo courtesy of Hunter Martin, Getty Images