Sunday, April 3, 2011

Phil Mickelson Wins in Houston, Becomes Easy Pick at Augusta National


I really can't believe he's doing this to me again, but a week ago if you told me I'd be writing about Phil Mickelson being the favorite at Augusta National, I would have probably, as politely as I could, turned and walke quickly in the other direction. On Wednesday Phil wasn't a storyline for this week's major championship at the famed links in Georgia. Heck, he was barely a conversation piece. Since his win in 2010, Phil hasn't played a lick of good golf in a year, and was competing with Tiger Woods for the "guy who used to dominate but can't win anymore" award, and it was starting to be a pretty good contest.

But then Lefty goes out at the Shell Houston Open and does what he did over the weekend. What was that? Oh nothing much, besides making 18 birdies in 36 holes to get to 20-under for the week and beat the field by three shots. His 63 on Saturday was incredible, but the 65 he shot on Sunday was just as impressive, since he actually needed a low round to keep up with everyone else.

Now we have Mickelson as the favorite for Augusta, and maybe that's how it should be. He is made for that golf course more than anyone else in the history of the Masters, and he seems like the type of player that should win four or five green jackets. Don't be surprised if he adds number four this coming week. I sure won't be (but I would have been a week ago ... nobody will ever be able to figure out Phil).

Getty Images

2 comments:

seak said...

Form is overrated, as long as you feel comfortable on the golf course, it fits our game and you have the talent.

I would expect Phil to do well next week, and that was true before this weekend. I feel the same way about Tiger and AK.

Anonymous said...

Dustin Johnson finally emerges from his shell.