Monday, April 4, 2011

IT'S MASTERS WEEK BABY!!!!!!!!!


I set this post to go live at 12:01 AM east coast time, mainly because that is the time zone the beautiful, the fantastic, the exciting and the brilliant Augusta National is in.

How can you not love the Masters? It is the single best week of my year, more than the first rounds of March Madness or that time I said hi to this girl and she said hi back (Suchhhh a good day). I love it. I love everything about it. I love the music. I love the azaleas. I love the way Jim Nantz loves Augusta National, and how you can hear it in his voice. I love sitting around all week watching highlights. I love that the Par-3 Contest is now televised, and even though nobody cares about it, it is fantastic television. I love Scott Van Pelt interview players. I love Butler Cabin. I love the new Masters website, that really is as impressive a site as I can remember online. I love Tea Olive and Yellow Jasmine and Golden Bell. I love that the back nine has two par-5s that would be considered par-4.5 at your local course, but at Augusta can bring out the best and the worst in players. I love 1986, 1997 and 2004. I love how players skip shots across water during practice rounds. I love the fact that for so long a man named Hootie was in charge of this whole thing. I love the fact that you have to say "second cut" instead of "rough" and "patrons" instead of "fans." I love that if you bring a cup into the Masters, someone will kindly pour that drink into a green cup so that nothing takes away from the beauty of the event. I love that there can be a 155-yard par-3 that is as tough as any hole you'll ever play in your life. I love the roars. I love the Eisenhower Pine. I love "Yessssssssir." I love "In Your LIFE have you seen anything like that?!" I love the memories I have of watching the tournament with my dad, and canceling a flight a couple of years back so I could stay at home and catch the final round with him. I love that one Easter my whole family was huddled around a small television in the bedroom of my aunt's lake house as we watched Phil Mickelson win his first major championship.

Most of all, I love that for one week I can sit in front of my television and be amazing at EVERYTHING about something, and the second it ends, be wishing it would all start up again.

So, with all that, I say, Masters week is officially here, and I hope you're as excited as I am. Get your badges ready, folks, and enjoy everything that comes with the majesty of Augusta National.

Getty Images

3 comments:

Roody said...

MASTERS WEEK!!!! Love it!

John said...

Amen, brother.

Anonymous said...

Short-rationing TV time is still a downer.