Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Why You Should Care about AT&T Classic...


I know what you're thinking - shameless plug from a golf fan that writes a boring golf blog about golf because he loves golf and enjoys everything golf. I promise you, if I were to pick a time of the year to avoid golf tournaments as a whole, the break between the Players Championship and the U.S. Open is a pretty solid four weeks of boredom.

The Tour goes, AT&T Classic, the Colonial, the Memorial and the St. Jude before we land at Torrey Pines for our countries Open championship. This year you can pencil Tiger in for exactly zero of the next four and Mickelson for maybe two.

Anyway, you play the hand dealt, and this is where we are, at the beautiful TPC Apple Pie Sugarloaf for a tournament that has notched some amazing winners over the last few years.

I think you're in for a few weeks of young, exciting winners, with the obligatory Vijay Singh win tossed in. I think Anthony Kim, Hunter Mahan, or Zach Johnson have an amazing chance to pick up a victory before Torrey Pines and anytime one of those guys can win, it makes it better for the entire golf world.

Tiger Woods, the artist formerly known as David Duval, Phil Mickelson (thrice) and Retief Goosen have won this event so you know it isn't a chump golf course.

Also, it's televised by the Golf Channel the first two days (luckily you'll be at work) and then CBS over the weekend, so at least things get better with age. If you can't enjoy golf televised by the CBS crew, you might as well watch it on mute.

I think Zach Johnson defends, just because he's due and he's one of the biggest names in the field this week. (I would also like to remind everyone that I'm on the Hale-Bopp circulation of picking winners, and since I already picked Adam Scott this season, look for my next correct prediction around 4384.

No comments: