Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Golfers to play golf for St. Jude (and a million bucks)


It’s been a busy week in the world of “Dogs That Chase Cars.” Not only have I been glued to the television to see if my beloved Wildcats can win the soccer match that is the College Softball World Series, but I have been preparing for my first professional golf tournament, this week’s Gateway Tour tournament in Scottsdale.

Sadly, I missed the cut (68-76) but played well in the first round and have something to build on. Plus, I only made eight bogeys in the second round, which really brought my moral to an unbelievable and uncomfortable high (as many bogeys as pars, WATCH OUT EL TIGRE!).

With that personal information you probably don’t care about, the Cumulonimbus clouds are starting to roll in and before you know it the storm that is Oakmont will be upon us. I know that the St. Jude’s Classic is this week and David “Can I have Some Warm Milk Before Bedtime” Toms will be looking to win again TPC Southwind.

RANDOM NOTE: Who do you think at the PGA is in charge of naming the courses that TPC buys out? I mean, they have some no-brainers like TPC Scottsdale and TPC Myrtle Beach, but what about TPC Craig Ranch and TPC Sugarloaf? I wish I got paid to come up with this stuff – Sawgrass would definitely be TPC at Quadruple Bogey.

So, we have one week until the U.S. Open and a golf tournament with a reasonable field to fluff us before Tiger comes in for the money shot. Here are some things to watch:

My 2007 Life Mostly in the Rough - Remember in 2004 when John Daly hit that amazing bunker shot to take home the Buick Invitational and every golf writer worth his Ashworth pullover talked about how Big John was back? As my girlfriend would say, “Yeah, not so much.” Daly has as many withdrawals this year (3) as cuts made. I have a feeling that this might be the week he actually does something with his life.

Big Boys Do Big Things - Sergio Garcia, Mike Weir, Adam Scott, Vijah Singh, Geoff Ogilvy – which name will get himself (or herself) in “U.S. Open form.”

The Best Alternate of 2007 - Kevin Stadler is the Number One Alternate for the U.S. Open, which means if one guy’s wife happens to induce pregnancy, the Smaller of the Guts land a spot. If he wins this bad boy he won’t have to worry about it.

Ok, that will about do it. If you are enjoying the site make sure to comment and let me know, so I won’t take days off between posts.

2 comments:

John said...

"Not only have I been glued to the television to see if my beloved Wildcats can win the soccer match that is the College Softball World Series..."

I dig the site, but I'm not sure what this means.

JLK

Shane B. said...

someone else was confused about that as well...the score of these games were like a soccer match (i.e., 1-0, 2-0)...