Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tiger Woods is Returning to the Masters


With one simple statement, Tiger Woods is back.

On Tuesday, Woods announced that it wouldn't be Bay Hill that would be the site of his return, it would be the famed Augusta National links.

"The Masters is where I won my first major and I view this tournament with great respect. After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I'm ready to start my season at Augusta," Woods said in a statement.

The reason for this is obvious. Tiger picked Augusta because it will be as quiet as possible, with most of the racket coming from outside the entrance to Magnolia Lane and with only the oldest of old in the media world getting an invite to toss questions at Woods.

It also means more patrons, less "You sucks!" coming from the gallery.

Woods hasn't won here since 2005, and cannot be picked to win it in 2010, but to have him back will be nice for everyone involved. Like Kobe Bryant returning to the basketball court after all the stuff in Colorado, going back to your place of business, even if 50,000 people are watching, has to feel a little normal. Tiger is a routine-filled man, and I'm sure he is excited to get back to that type of life.

If nothing else, it will give us all a chance to enjoy golf like it was meant to be enjoyed. Tiger on the screen, at Augusta National, competing for a green jacket. Now that is something I can get on board with.

Additional Links

-- The entire timeline of all the events since Thanksgiving night, up to the the day he announced he'd return to Augusta.

-- How Tiger Woods has done in the Masters over his career.

-- Why Augusta National is the perfect spot for Tiger's return.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time heals all wounds, right? Well, winning matches does too...sort of. Tiger returns to carrying the PGA on his back. Let the media circus begin! Tiger was trending on Twitter today. I covered it on my show http://bit.ly/btr1CS