Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jack Nicklaus Speaks on Tiger Woods, Says Nothing At All


According to the ASSOCIATED PRESS (I like to caps them like I'm screaming it out to a group of savages), Jack Nicklaus spoke about Tiger Woods on Thursday, saying only it is, "none of my business."

This comes a couple of days after Steve Williams, Tiger's caddie and longtime buddy, said he knew nothing of what went on behind the ropes.

Which leaves us asking this question -- why in the hell would either of these guys actually say something? As a buddy to men in different walks of life, I know one thing ... if someone is screwing around, nine times out of ten you know about it. This is because you are buddies with the guy that is going out and doing these things, and because men are, for the most part, extremely clumsy about stuff and keep stuff secret as well as 4-year-olds. Now, there is that 10 percent of dudes that are sneaky enough to keep it from everyone, but those guys usually work for the CIA, not the PGA Tour.

With that said, if you were Steve Williams, would you say anything other than "I had no knowledge"? You want to keep your job. You want to continue to be the richest person in New Zealand. You actually enjoy being able to tug a bag for 20 tournaments a year and then race your cars and make millions and take your aggression out on cameras.

And with Jack, why would he have anything to say at all? He isn't from this generation. He doesn't chill with Tiger on a daily basis. He is a guy that used to rock the golf world and is now watching a guy do the same, a generation later. I'm pretty sure "none of my business" is exactly what you'd expect from the Golden Bear.

If I've learned one thing in this business, it is most smart people don't say things they shouldn't say. Yes, you get the random admission from Ron Artest that he used to drink during halftimes at games, but you expect that type of crazy from Artest. Williams isn't dumb. Nicklaus sure isn't dumb.

This isn't their battle. I guarantee if it was me, I'd be tossing around the "no comment" card quicker than The Golf Girl gets a thousand page views.