Monday, June 29, 2009

Gearing Up for Scotland Trip, 3.0


I have lived a fairly interesting golf life, if you don't mind me saying so myself. In the United States, I've never played a top-100 golf course, with the closest coming either with Troon North (which is top-100 of courses you can play) or the Ocean Course at Olympic Club (not the one that has hosted U.S. Opens).

Across the pond, however, I've had a ton of experience with world famous golf courses, playing St. Andrews a handful of times, Carnoustie, Turnberry, Prestwick and even Kingsbarns and most of the other courses around St. Andrews.

Next week, my dad and I will again setting in to that long flight for another chance at dominating the Scottish terrain.

Our plans are simple -- play as much golf in five days as possible. We land in Edinburgh and plan to drive up to Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen. After playing both courses, we will venture down to St. Andrews to give the Old Course another shot, along with my first test of the Castle Course and possibly another go at Carnoustie (I played really well up until 17 and 18, where I made Jean Van de Velde look like Jack Nicklaus).

We are staying strictly east coast this time, and are still trying (cross those fingers) to get a guest spot on Muirfield.

Anyway, just wanted to update you on the travels. I will be Twittering on the trip and plan to stick some photos and such here for all to see. The last time I played the Old Course I shot even-par 72, so my goal is to better that by a couple of shots, and hopefully (hopefully) break 70.

I've got my Gustbuster umbrella (a must if you're going to Scotland), my Footjoy rain gear, a new set of irons and some Vokey wedges heading my way, so hopefully the equipment part is good to go.