Thursday, July 19, 2007

Never Trust a Thief (or Sergio in the Lead at a Major)


When Sergio Garcia comes to mind, I think three things:

1. He was a cute story at one point in his life (sadly, that was 1999, nearly eight years ago at the PGA Championship).
2. He plays DAMN well when he gets to chum up with a bunch of other Europeans, but when playing individual tournaments, he breaks the occasional club (who hasn’t) and spits in cups after missed putts (eh, maybe not so much).
3. He folds like a USPS intern in the majors (not counting ’99 when he was just outplayed).

That is all I can really think about when I see the Spaniard onto of a leader board after round one. When Phil Mickelson was in search of his first victory, he was always trying to find the right week with the right swing. Putting was never Mickelson’s Achilles, unlike Mr. Garcia. I know he has a new toy, but like any golfer knows, a new club needs a little tournament testing, and Sergio’s putter has yet to see the light of a weekend tournament.

I’d love to see the romantic story of Sergio pulling through at the biggest European tournament in their country, but I just don’t see it happening. Maybe he can prove me wrong, but I wouldn’t put my money on Ladbrokes on it.

Photo courtesy of Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images

No comments: