Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Non-Shocker of the Day - St. Andrews to Host 2015 Open Championship


There are few things in life that live up to the hype. Venues that aren't as nice in person. Television timeouts that take away from the appeal of the game. Breathtaking views that somehow don't take your breath away.

But when you're driving down the A-91, and take that final turn around a bend to see the city of St. Andrews, it's legendary. Yes, I'm a sucker for the town because I spent a summer over there caddying and enjoying the life of a post-college kid in golf's 5th Avenue, but man, you talk about beauty. And on top of all that, when you walk up the 18th fairway for the first time, crossing the Swilcan Bridge, hands in your pockets, gazing at the mesmerizing R&A and the other buildings that enclose golf's great treasure, it puts your goosebumps on overdrive.

So, it shouldn't surprise you that the R&A has announced their annual return to the Old Course for 2015. Since 1990, the Open Championship has settled back in St. Andrews every five years, and it will continue that tradition in four Opens from now.

And me? I'll be 31 at that time, but will hopefully continue my tradition of heading across the pond and trying to qualify for the Open, a vow I made to myself back in 2006. Sure, I don't have much of a shot, but I think if I'm going to try to play in with the big boys, it might as well be on my favorite golf course.

So, mark the calendar ... 2015, St. Andrews. Tiger Woods will be almost 40 when this goes down. Time is surely ticking.