Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Webb Simpson Says Ta-Ta to Twitter


Twitter is good for a lot of things. It's great for breaking news, incredible to get to know certain celebrities and athletes, and allows you to connect to people you otherwise wouldn't be able to "communicate" with (and I put communicate in quotes because no matter how much you think you know someone, you really only are seeing their end of it unless you're getting the re-follow, which hardly ever happens with big names on the site).

But the one negative thing about Twitter is the hate. Man, people HATE on that site. They hate you for what you say, who you are, what you do, and just about anything that you post. The more people you get to follow you, the more you see that hate seep through, and it's ugly.

And while little people like me see it occasionally, the big names, like Webb Simpson, probably get it hourly. That's why the FedEx Cup points leader is ditching out on the social networking site. He's done, at least for now, because he said he's done seeing all the negativity.

From Sobel's GC.com report ...

“My main reason I signed on was just kind of to read what other people said,” he explained. “I loved hearing what other athletes say or other people I like to follow. But at the same time, getting in contention, I get more followers; I win, I get more followers, and there's a lot of negativity there, people saying really mean things. “So last week I deleted it on my phone. I still have the account, but it was just kind of - it's hard not to read what people say. 


Don't get me wrong, 90 percent of the people were very complimentary, but you still have people out there that they want to share their opinion any way possible. I'm signed off currently right now.”

Honestly, how can you blame the guy? He definitely isn't the first athlete or celebrity to kick Twitter to the curb, and definitely won't be the last. For all I can tell, Simpson comes off as a very genuine guy that loves Jesus and proclaims it anytime he can. I'm sure a lot of the hate comes about because of his faith, and for that, ditching Twitter isn't a terrible idea.

Honestly, who hasn't wanted to delete their Twitter or Facebook account lately? It seems that the more these things catch on, the more the trolls sneak around trying to ruin your day. They aren't nearly as fun as they used to be, and really make me understand why people hate when bands go mainstream. Sure, it's good for the band, but it's a lot more fun when you can go watch your favorite trio sing in some basement bar with 100 of your best friends. The more popular something becomes, the less exciting it is.

Getty Images

5 comments:

Steve Engbloom said...

Everyone should read this, Shane. I completely agree with Simpson's decision as well. People have no idea how their words (typed or spoken) affect others.

Then again, some of those could actually care less.

Anonymous said...

Have to disagree on this one - if I'm a golfer, I follow the 100 people that I want to follow, tweet what I want to tweet, and never check my @ replies. So unless one of the people I follow starts talking bad about me, I'm never exposed to the negativity. Do I interact with fans? No. But that's ok.

players towel said...

I agree with Webb. There is way too much negativity on Twitter. He said he didn't delete his account, only from his phone, which is smart. When you're "On Top", everyone starts taking shots at you. I'll bet Webb will be back, at least I hope so!!

Unknown said...

louboutin pas cher, michael kors, sac guess, michael kors, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, ray ban uk, hollister pas cher, vans pas cher, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors, oakley pas cher, true religion outlet, nike blazer, nike air max, timberland, lacoste pas cher, north face, nike free, vanessa bruno, hollister, nike air max, burberry, true religion jeans, lululemon, longchamp pas cher, nike free run uk, tn pas cher, nike roshe run, air max, ralph lauren uk, mulberry, hogan, abercrombie and fitch, north face, air force, new balance pas cher, hermes, sac longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, ray ban pas cher

Unknown said...

thomas sabo, karen millen, gucci, toms shoes, links of london, ugg boots uk, ralph lauren, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms, swarovski, montre pas cher, uggs on sale, ugg boots, hollister, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, ray ban, bottes ugg, ugg boots, lancel, supra shoes, ugg boots, ugg pas cher, wedding dresses, coach outlet, marc jacobs, juicy couture outlet, louboutin, vans, converse outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, ugg boots, pandora jewelry, replica watches, hollister, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, nike air max
ninest123 08.08