Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Somehow, Someway, Michelle Wie Helped Steve Marino


It's kind of a cute story, really. Steve Marino, a rookie on the PGA Tour, gets paired with Michelle Wie in his first ever event. You think you have nerves, trying being a teenage girl playing against men in an event where you're the main attraction.

But that's where Marino stepped in. Unlike a lot of the older guys that hated the fact that a girl was going to be playing with them, Steve joked, had fun with her, helped her out, and made her feel more comfortable.

Marino was a nobody then, but he's quickly becoming a somebody, and he attributes a lot of that success to Wie, strangely enough. The 30-year-old Marino told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser that her ability to handle such a tough situation helped him feel more comfortable during a pressure-packed week.

Looking back, Marino was able to say, "In a way I think that actually helped me, my first event on the PGA Tour, getting paired with Michelle Wie. There were so many people around, I think it was good for me to experience something like that right off the bat, and it gave me some confidence to realize that I handled it well and I made the cut and I didn't get overwhelmed by the situation. So, yeah, I think it was definitely a good thing for me. That was a big confidence booster for me."

So, thank you Michelle Wie. You, again, are awesome, and even Steve Marino sees it. Now, back to class, silly.

Getty Images

No comments: