Tuesday, November 16, 2010

LPGA Winner Donates Entire Winnings to Charity


Move over Oprah, because In-Kyung Kim is the coolest donater in town.

The 22-year-old Korean born LPGA star shot a final round 64 at the Lorena Ochoa Invitational on Sunday, snagging a cool $220,000 for her work. It was her third career title, and put her over the million dollar mark for the year.

What did Kim do with the dinero? She donated it all to charity. Seriously.

Kim gave half the money to Ochoa's charity, and the other half to a yet-named charity in the United States.

"I went to Lorena’s party and I saw the kids and how she is helping kids with her foundation. I decided if I win, I will be giving all the money to people who need help," Kim said of her generous decision.

I mean, this is so awesome. I have written about 93 too many articles about Tiger Woods and his always wandering man region, so to get a chance to write something like this makes me feel like I'm actually doing something good for people.

Kim didn't have to do this, but she did, and the world is a beter place for it. People complain about how the LPGA Tour is "too foreign" a lot of the time, but if more Americans did things like this, the tour would be a better spot.

Well done, In-Kyung. It reminds us, as the holiday season fast approaches, that doing things for other people is A LOT better than doing stuff for ourselves. While that might be extremely corny, it's true, and I ahead of a lot of people need that reminder every once in a while.

Getty Images

No comments: