Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Tough News Day

I might as well be honest about something before I dig through all the emotions that come with the news on Tuesday that Erica Blasberg's death was ruled a suicide.

When I first got the text message in May to call a friend that needed to tell me something, a knot tied in my stomach. We really only communicated about Erica, so to get a disconcerting text like this from a friend like her couldn't have been good. As you probably guessed, it wasn't.

Lucky for me, I've never dealt with death before. My grandmother and two grandfathers that have passed away in my lifetime both did so when I was too young to really understand what went on, and even though I still wish I could have had a moment with my one of my granddads watching me play in a junior golf tournament because it would have made them proud, I was never on much of a personal level with either of them.

People have come to me about death, sure. My ex-girlfriend had a close grandparent pass when we dated, and I consoled her as best I could. I wasn't sure exactly what to do, similar to a single man giving marriage advice, but I tried my best with what I knew of it or read about it. I was there, more or less, to just listen.

I remember reading that text message and then calling to hear the inevitable. Erica wasn't alive anymore. My mind raced like it does when you get shitty news like this, especially about someone so young. Of course the verdict that came out on Monday crossed my mind at least once. I had a two hour drive ahead of me, without a passenger to keep my mind at bay.

I never wanted to believe it was the case, but it is, and it sucks. Erica was an incredible girl who you've heard me mention numerous times over the last three months. You might be sick of reading about what I'm thinking, and I apologize for wasting your time with my thoughts, but I figured it was better to get them out there than to hold them in.

What does this verdict change in my mind about Erica? Not a thing. Not a goddamn thing. She was a beautiful person and will continue to be a beautiful person that I was lucky to be friends with. She struggled with personal problems like we all do, and made a decision that, unfortunately for us all, you can't take back.

I can speak for us all, friends, family, whomever, when I say that in five years or 10 years or whatever, we won't be thinking of what she did to herself that horrible May night, but about the memories we had with her throughout the years. The laughs and smiles and birdies and cocktails. The moments we all got to hang with her were the best times we could have with a gal, and she will forever be with us in some way or another.

It's tough to hear, that's for sure, but it doesn't change who Erica Blasberg was to me. I hope it doesn't change who she was for you, either.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Shane.

Tim Appledorn said...

Shane, I couldn't have said it any better. I met Erica a few times and she couldn't have been more gracious. Its hard to fathom that this happened.

Rob said...

Shane,
Erica will be missed by all and this doesn't change who she was-a great person. I was lucky enough to interview and hang out with her for a day in 2009 and will always remember her for her great personality and smile. That's how I'll remember Erica.

Peter Fleming said...

Hope you aren't taking the news too hard. I've got a few friends that have been on the edge of suicide before, but fortunately they realized that it wasn't the best answer. I can't imagine how I'd feel if they'd gone through with it as Erica did.

Fuck the fact that she was a pro golfer. It does't matter at all in this situation (although I'd never have found out about Erica otherwise). The most important thing is that you valued her as a friend, and ultimately you still do.

I hope you and Erica's other loved ones can find some peace in that. I know you might not, but it's all that you can do at this point. Regards, PF

drchuck said...

Thanks, Shane...

Patricia Hannigan said...

I really have trouble believing that Erica wanted, even for a moment, to die.

The fact that nothing can bring her back will probably allow suicide to remain the official cause of death, but I feel it does her a grave disservice.

I hope people can see beyond the tabloid headlines to a girl who loved and cherished life. Your stories definitely helped to bring that out.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.iystwowgold.com]wow gold[/url], games gold are so good and cute!!! I carry them for complete softness and comfort!!
i enjoy this program a majority of these games gold nevertheless i are thinking they need to help to make heated pink colored light games gold simply because that are pleasant!
games gold Hyper Agile puis conforme, ¨¤ recommander tr¨¨s vivement
I reckon you should purchase typically the games gold as it is designer. I have got tanners and are also eye-catching! These are generally consequently lovely. I would recommend the following to prospects who like that they are sweet plus get out a decent amount! However the only negative thing is you can't deliver all of them found in water and / or snow, and even it can be spoiled. I adore that games gold. I'm hunting for a lot more because they are and so very good,designer,stylish,and also lovely! These come in many different hues!
Many games gold were being something in order to really my own granfriend. Megan simply would like people. That she utilises these products designed for school, meeting not to mention creates these people with his or her cheerleading set. They may be an incredible enhance to every with regards to their wardrobe. I felt surely surprised at how they experience delayed once i was basically disturbed initially when i first beheld each of them that they will can loosened while self-cleaning . the outdoors and feel pleased. Meg has had a great many frames concerning games gold that happen to be by far the most effective an individual's.
games gold are actually sooooo great! games gold sense a person take any presctiption atmosphere!!!