Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Quick Message About Next Week


So, next week is U.S. Open week, and I'll be covering it ... from Scotland.

Yes, I know that might sound strange, but I'm heading over to the best country in the world besides ours to try to qualify for the British Open. I know that might sound strange as well ("There is qualifying for it here, idiot!"), but I made a vow years back that whenever the British was held at St. Andrews, the course I was fortunate enough to caddie at for a summer, I'd drag my sticks across the pond and go the way of the locals.

My qualifying course is the same as 2005, when I shot a nice little 75 with six birdies (consistent!). It is very American-y, so to prepare I'll be spending most of my days (while you people are sleeping) practicing at some of the best golf courses in the entire world. My plan is Turnberry, Troon, Prestwick and then the east coast, while most of my evenings will be spent slouched over in a pub watching the U.S. Open and writing/tweeting/pinting.

So, no worries, content will still flow, but I wanted to give you a heads up in case you were worried. Which I'm sure you weren't.

Okay, back to real news, like Ty Tryon making it into the U.S. Open field. Cool dude, and I'm happy for him.

(And yes, that is a photo of me tucking in my shirt at St. Andrews. I figured it was better than one of me with my stupid smile.)

5 comments:

Mike said...

GOOD LUCK, SHANE!

Jim Dauer, FullForesome.com said...

Sounds like a fun week. Good luck!

Michael Green said...

All the very best mate. I like someone who sticks to their plans! Good luck!

John said...

Wow that's great! Best of luck!

Unknown said...

Good luck Shane! As for qualifying, going over is the only way to go unless you are high enough on the world rankings. The International Qualifier contested here is limited to 78 players off the official world golf rankings, this year it worked out to anyone in the top 600 in the world getting in the Texas qualifier.