Friday, September 11, 2009

Steve Blass, I Hate You Too!


Make your damn hole-in-ones. That's fine. I don't care. Balls leave irons all year long, fly in the air a few seconds, land on soft greens and find the bottom of the cup. That is what a hole-in-one involves.

I understand other people are going to make them, and I'm fine with it, I just don't want to hear about it. What I'm not fine with? Some former Pirates pitcher making two aces in the same round! That feat belongs to Steve Blass, who was supposedly solid back in his prime until he went on a Ian Baker-Finch-like slide from greatness.

On Thursday, Blass, who I now have pinned directly in the center of my dart board, made two aces in the same round, from 154-yards and 175-yards. Yep, his scorecard had two ones on it. According to the report, Blass had to spend $400 on drinks in the bar, which is a small price to pay for making this incredible blog.

I'll add a funny hole-in-one story from a couple of weeks ago. Playing the small course near my place in Scottsdale, my buddy and I came upon a group that was playing pretty slow. We were a twosome, and the group in front was four, but didn't seem to know the proper etiquette for letting groups play through.

On the par-3 5th hole, I heard a whistle and looked on the green to see the guys waving us up. It took me a second to get my club, get together and get ready to hit. At this point, the four guys had surrounded the pin, looking to be playing the hole out for some reason. After a brief convo with my buddy, we decide they're still letting us through, so I hit my 52-degree Vokey wedge in the screws, and watch it fly purposefully at the stick. Problem was, they weren't looking. Not one of them.

The ball lands about four inches short of the hole, takes a small bounce and spins to their dismay. The guys looked the same way East Coast people look after eating greasy Mexican food -- not so hot. I went up and apologized, and they said that without any spin, she would have happily rolled dead center for my first ace.

And so, with that story goes this -- Steve Blass, share the wealth!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cant understand this obsession with aces .... yes I have had one :-)

Biggest ace searching twat has to be the guy mentioned on pacduneslooper's blog :

http://pacduneslooper.blogspot.com/2009/08/whats-up-with-johnny-dramas-golf-game.html

Unknown said...

Don't have one either at age 60, but I feel better about it when I remember our past pro, Bill Bassler, Sr., (RIP) was the professional at our club for almost sixty years and never had one. The new pro, his son, has had a bunch, and I think I'll get mine eventually.

I can read it now: Vince Spence, 93, had a hole-in-day yesterday from the pink tees on hole #5. It was playing to 87 yards and Spence hit a full driver. When asked, Spence stated it was a 'knock down' driver.

Shane B. said...

Ben Hogan never had an ace. We're homeboys :-)

Unknown said...

michael kors uk, louboutin pas cher, true religion outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike air max pas cher, ray ban uk, lunette oakley pas cher, converse, abercrombie and fitch, abercrombie and fitch UK, hermes pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, mulberry uk, nike air max uk, nike roshe run pas cher, longchamp soldes, lululemon outlet, nike blazer pas cher, nike tn pas cher, nike free pas cher, lunette ray ban pas cher, true religion outlet, hogan sito ufficiale, burberry pas cher, nike air max, vans pas cher, nike free, nike air max uk, polo lacoste pas cher, north face uk, new balance, nike air force, true religion jeans, jordan pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, vanessa bruno pas cher, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren uk, north face pas cher, sac guess pas cher

Unknown said...

salvatore ferragamo, hermes handbags, soccer shoes, iphone 6 cases, nfl jerseys, bottega veneta, insanity workout, longchamp uk, soccer jerseys, instyler ionic styler, celine handbags, asics running shoes, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, oakley, valentino shoes, babyliss pro, p90x workout, nike roshe run, north face outlet, nike air max, mac cosmetics, lululemon outlet, ghd hair, softball bats, reebok outlet, hollister clothing, north face outlet, nike roshe uk, nike air huarache, new balance shoes, abercrombie, vans outlet, mont blanc, abercrombie and fitch, timberland boots, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti, wedding dresses, nike trainers uk