Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Phil Mickelson's Change at British? Be More Aggressive


A few things you don't expect to hear come out of Phil Mickelson's mouth; "Naw, no doughnuts for me." "Screw your autograph requests!" "I'm probably not aggressive enough."

The latter came out this week from Lefty about his putting strategy at past Open Championships, and he's decided to take another approach at Royal St. George's next week. He's going to be more aggressive. Naturally.

Via the AP ...

"I have not putted well. The grass is a little bit more coarse, a little thicker, has a little bit more effect, and you need to putt with less break and more aggression is what I've come to find.

"I'm going to try to do that this week and next week and see if that doesn't combat some of the issues that I've had putting here."


Hum. I don't say this a lot, so I'm going to here and I'd like everyone to take note, but I ... ahem ... Sorry, one second ... I ... AHHHHHGGHH ... hold on, I can do this.

I agree with Phil Mickelson.

There, I did it!

Yes, his failures at the Open have always been strange, and for a guy that always seems to be a factor in the other three majors, when the British rolls around he is hardly ever in the discussion. I've always found it strange that a guy with that much feel and touch around the greens couldn't find a translation for links golf, but it might be more along the lines of how many fairways Phil misses on a golf course with no wind.

No matter, he has to change something, so why not do it with the one part of his game that isn't 100 percent on the gas pedal at all times.

Honest question -- if Phil won the British, would it be the biggest "shocker that really shouldn't shock anyone" moment in golf history?

Getty Images

1 comment:

Will said...

Nope, Charl Schwartzel winning the Masters was the most shocking that really shouldn't have been shocking win. At least for this year!