Monday, July 18, 2011

Darren Clarke Continues to Be More Likeable


Let's be honest ... if you or I were to somehow win the British Open, the first thing we'd do was drink anything from Shiner Bock to vinegar out of that Claret Jug. Taking down some alcohol out of that thing must be one of the career milestones of a golfer, and nothing can taste as good as that first drip of liquid flowing out of the most famous trophy in golf.

So what was Darren Clarke's first beverage out of Sir Claret? Nothing.

This is all according to the Belfast Telegraph (my favorite Belfast news source!), who said Clarke hasn't tossed anything back from the Jug because it just doesn't seem right.

“There’s been nothing in it overnight at all,” he explained. “I’m a little bit of a traditionalist. I love the thought of whatever being in the trophy but I’m a bit of 2-iron as opposed to rescue-that-sort-of-guy.

“I feel a bit funny about putting stuff in the Claret Jug that shouldn’t be in there, so I’m a bit more reserved as to what I should do,” added Clarke.


First things first ... I love the "2-iron as opposed to rescue-that-sort-of-guy," line. For years I prided myself on always being that 2-iron guy, up until I hit one of those TaylorMade r11 rescue clubs and realized how easy it was to pump something down the fairway without nearly breaking a knuckle.

I love Clarke's outlook and the way he approaches just about everything. The guy seems about as cool as they come, and it's nice to see one of those guys come out on top.

Getty Images