Thursday, October 7, 2010

Colin Montgomerie Wins Ryder Cup, Goes Back To Talking Crazy


I don't know what it was about Colin Montgomerie at Celtic Manor, but for the first time in a long time, I remember leaving the event with a newfound respect for the Scot. He has been, to put it bluntly, an arse for most of his career, so for a guy like myself to start thinking highly of the man again was a big thing.

And then he got to St. Andrews for the Dunhill Links and started talking crazy again. Monty, never one to shy away from the microphone on any issue, spoke of two things.

The first was his push for a change in the European selection process for the Ryder Cup. He mentioned having to leave out Justin Rose and Paul Casey was, "was the worst day of my professional career," which I'm sure most captains would agree with. Having to make that call is probably one of the toughest in the world, rivaling a breakout phone call between two lengthy lovers (Ed. Note: Rarrr).

The second point he brought up made me laugh. Monty said that his focus for 2012 was making the Ryder Cup as a player.

"I have to refocus on my game after two years of focusing on the way other people are playing," Montgomerie said. "But I would have to take my game to a new level to make the team again. Even higher than it was in 1997-98, when I was playing my best golf - because since then the standard of golf being played on tour has improved so much."

Monty will be 49 when the next matches are around, and he is currently ranked 425th in the world (juuuust outside the number to make the Cup team). He hasn't won a European Tour event since 2007, and seems to be well past his prime as an elite golfer. I'm sure Colin would love to make the team as a player, but so would I, so I guess we both have that going for us. Looks like I'll really need to focus over the next two years to make sure I get the nod from the American captain.

Getty Images

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the win Colin
http://www.fairwaysandroughs.com/

Alen said...

I read it and get to know this how much it is difficult to play Golf, and one who win the match "he is great man/woman". congratulation colin.


Watch Live NFL FOOTBALL GAMES ONLINE | Live College Football Online