Friday, October 9, 2009

Greg and Fred, PLEASE, Make Yang-Woods Happen On Sunday


Thursday morning, as the Presidents Cup was kicking off, I had a conversation with a well known golf blogger about the event ... we both agreed on something -- the story of the week, if it could happen, would be Y.E. Yang playing Tiger Woods in the Sunday singles matches. Or, I guess, Woods playing Yang (hehe).

Why is this a good idea? Well, I'll tell ya (just wait).

Tiger got beat by Yang after holding a 54-hole lead at the PGA Championship, the first time that has ever happened to Woods in a major. It was, basically, a match play event towards the end of the tournament, and Yang came out triumphant. It was an incredible spectacle, highlighted by Yang bench-pressing his TaylorMade bag, one of the funniest and most awkward things I've seen from a golf winner in a while ("Hey I won, better bench my bag!").

If Woods gets up for anything, it's adversity, and match play has an interesting way of igniting Woods. In 2000, Vijay Singh's caddie sported a hat that said, "Tiger Who?", basically asking to be A.) Fired and B.) Beaten in current match. Tiger took down Vijay, and it made most golf fans pretty darn happy.

Back in his U.S. Amateur days, Woods had to come back from substantial deficits in his matches, and would do so almost like he was playing a cat and mouse game with his foe.

And finally, the Stephen Ames 9 and 8 day at the Accenture Match Play. Yeah, talk trash. I dare ya.

I know it's a team event and all, but Woods isn't one to get embarrassed and the PGA Championship was a little embarrassing for Tiger (losing to a nobody? YUCK!). If these captains can do one thing right, it's allow Yang and Woods to battle it out. Maybe make it the middle of the pack match so it will still matter, even if the cup has been decided.

I'm excited to see how Tiger will react if he went up against Yang. I want it to happen. Someone ... make this happen.

Timothy A. Clary, AFP