Thursday, October 16, 2008

Jim Furyk Won the Grand Slam Of Golf Even Though He Didn't Win A Major This Season


The Grand Slam of Golf concluded yesterday and it was actually a fantastic finish to a seemingly pointless event.

Jim Furyk, who got an invite from Rule 345b that states "if included major championship winner shall not be avaliable because of an injury to his knee, kneecap, or ear, the player to include will be the U.S. Open winner from five years previous," won the thing with a birdie-eagle finish. Furyk needed a birdie to beat an actual major winner, Padraig Harrington, on the 18th hole to force a playoff and then went ahead and cashed an eagle to take the event and, cough cough, $600,000.

You know, I'm a little disappointed they didn't call me for this. Sure, I'm not on the PGA Tour, but I sure as hell could use $600,000 more than Furyk. Plus, I think my swing is prettier and I also didn't win a major championship this year (shocking, I know). If they had called me, I think I would have done it, if work would have let me off.

The good thing is Furyk, a fellow Wildcat, admitted he had no reason to be there.

"It's kind of a wonder that I'm even in the event to start with. So I kind of treated the week like I had nothing to lose. Rarely do I kind of go in just thinking about having fun."

You know what's pretty fun? Winning $600,000. (Oh, and that jacket...how much fun is that? He's even laughing while wearing the thing. He's got that "Wow, I just got you guys good" look on his face. Gotta love Jim Furyk.)

No comments: