Monday, April 23, 2007

Nick Watney is no Chris Dimarco


In the past two weeks we've had a Tin Cup-esque golfer take down one of the world's best on a Monday finish to make everyone still chewing Copenhagen in the world extremely happy. Boo Weekley chipped in twice for par to totally discredit my website (in case you didn't know, the name of this blog is based on the quote from Lee Trevino that, "two things aren't long for the world, dogs who chase cars and pros that chip for pars").

Now, this week my boy Nick Watney smoked the field with normal golf (no par chip ins). The reason I refer to Watney as "my boy" is because of my interesting FBR Open experience this year. Standing on the 17th tee, a short par-4 that almost all the touring pros try to drive, my buddies and I (absolutely and completely sober) were trying to bet the big boys that they couldn't hit it on the green. Most of the guys just acted like they couldn't hear us, with some of the guys like David Toms and Paul Azinger offering us a smile or chuckle. Chris Dimarco (a Florida Gator if it makes you hate him even more) flipped out, screaming "Do YOU guys wanna try??!!" which I would have loved to do if his ugly Ping driver was left-handed. Anyway, the best sport of the entire afternoon was Watney, who chatted and joked with us, even saying he'd take the bet before he snapped it in the water left of the green. Anyway, we were big fans of the kid and it's good to see karma work in reverse order. (Moral of the story, Dimarco sucks, Watney is awesome).

So, a couple of weeks, a couple of randoms notching their first victories. This is the time of the year when people you've never heard of will be racking up Fedex Points (sorry, they paid me to reference the Fedex Cup).

Some running storylines :

-Will we see Tiger before the U.S. Open?

-Is anybody that used to be good going to win a tournament that hasn't been mentioned in the above bullet point? I feel like this is the golf version of "Space Jams," with aliens taking the powers of Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Ernie Els, Vijah Singh and Retief Goosen. Now that I think about it, this would be an extremely interesting movie, especially if we could see Vijah without his shirt on.

-What should we expect from Zach Johnson the rest of the year? I'm pretty sure his top 10 the week after the Masters proves my past two columns.

-WHO WILL WIN THE FEDEX CUP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

2 comments:

Rickey said...

Like Mark Twain said: "Golf is a good walk. Spoiled."

Baseball is on my friend, go watch it.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea