Monday, November 28, 2011

A Few Q-School Players to Watch at Final Stage

The most brutal, grueling golf event of the year kicks off on Wednesday. No, not the U.S. Open or the British Open. Miles past the U.S. Amateur or a Ryder Cup. It's the final stage of PGA Tour Q-School, where dreams go to die, and six rounds take you from obscure or forgotten player to the big show. Here are a few players to watch that will tee it up at PGA West this week. 

Rich Beem -- Hey, remember him?! He was the Beemer! He won a major! He beat Tiger Woods! He had a book written about him that he didn't really like! I do love the Beem though and would love to see him back out on the Tour.

Benoit Beisser -- The first time I ever played in a mini tour event, I was paired with Beisser. He had his mom in the cart, and told me and my dad to call him "Benoit" (pronounced Ben-Wa). He was 6-under through 17 holes, and I was the only player in the group that had a made a bogey, but Benoit hit his drive on 18 about 50 yards left of the fairways and made a double-bogey. It made me feel better. I always appreciated that.

Charlie Beljan -- In the past two seasons on the Gateway Tour, Beljan has made a combined $123,054.59. Who said mini tour guys don't make cash?!

Alex Coe -- A friend of mine, Coe has a little advantage here over the rest of the field; he plays PGA West every day.

Chris DeForest -- Good news for Chris! No trees at PGA West, meaning he won't be in DeForest that much *carhorn*!

David Duval -- Can someone do me a favor and figure out how many Q-Schools Duval has played in. Is it more than Masters played? It wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Jason Gore -- A sentimental pick in Gore, mostly because I loved his little run back in 2005.

Jarrod Lyle -- The good news for Lyle is he has some good memories from desert golf courses in 2011.

Sam Saunders -- The good news for Saunders? Arnold Palmer's restaurant in Palm Springs is about 11 minutes from the first tee at PGA West, and has a great wine selection.

Nicholas Thompson -- Best idea of the day? Have Lexi caddie. Boom.

Ty Tryon -- The best part about having success as a kid? Nobody will ever forget your name.

Boo Weekley -- What the hell happened to this guy?

Ryan Yip -- I really hope he gets paired with Frank Shanks at some point this week.

3 comments:

John said...

"What the hell happened to this guy?"

He realized that just banging it off the tee isn't good enough?

(c.f Daly, John)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shane,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about things to do in PGA West to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane

Unknown said...

thomas sabo, karen millen, gucci, toms shoes, links of london, ugg boots uk, ralph lauren, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms, swarovski, montre pas cher, uggs on sale, ugg boots, hollister, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, ray ban, bottes ugg, ugg boots, lancel, supra shoes, ugg boots, ugg pas cher, wedding dresses, coach outlet, marc jacobs, juicy couture outlet, louboutin, vans, converse outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, ugg boots, pandora jewelry, replica watches, hollister, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, nike air max
ninest123 08.08