Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Oh Hunter, Hunter, Hunter ...


I get the new approach to the PGA Tour. I understand that we need young, hip dudes to bro our way into the post-Tiger generation. I'm all for making things cooler and hipper, and I think at times it totally works. (For example, I don't always agree with the outfits Rickie Fowler wears, but I get it ... he's doing it to create a trademark, much the same way Tiger did with the red shirts on Sundays.)

But there are times that it just doesn't work. Like this week, when the New York Times came out with a profile on Byron-skipper Hunter Mahan, and the last paragraph has had a ton of people tweeting "SMH."

A lyric from the song “I Have Not Begun” by his favorite band, Linkin Park, could apply to the message: “You can think that I’m finished. I have not begun; Follow me. I got styles. You can copy one.”

Ahh, did you miss that? I'll paste it again, but this time with the important information in bold.

A lyric from the song “I Have Not Begun” by his favorite band, Linkin Park, could apply to the message: “You can think that I’m finished. I have not begun; Follow me. I got styles. You can copy one.”

As Deadspin shrewdly joked, "Murray Chass shudders and shakes his fist. Kids these days," but it really does show that golfers are full circle creatures. Wear whatever you want to look cool, try to be more original than the next guy, but when you're so out of touch with what is hip in this world that you're telling one of the most respectable publications in existence that Linkin Park is your favorite band, you are exactly that guy Happy Gilmore made fun of as he stood in the parking lot before his first ever competitive round.

"If I wore pants like that I'd have to kick my own ass."

Sure, it might not be the pants you're wearing, Hunter, but I bet after a line like that, Happy would gladly yank your shirt over your head and send you into the nearest pond.

No comments: